16/08/2017 0 Comments
Stay Safe This Winter with Driving Tips from Your Halifax Auto Insurance Company
Everyone in Halifax knows that driving during winter can be a tricky proposition. The roads are icy, and as a result, road accidents and auto insurance claims are more likely to occur. But there are a few steps that you can take to reduce your risk of an accident and keep your loved ones safe.
Some Precautions to Take
- Make Sure That You Have the Right Tires – All-season tires don’t offer the same traction that winter tires do. Using winter tires can help you stop safely in even the worst weather conditions.
- Slow and Steady – When snow freezes, then melts, then freezes again, the roads can become like a skating rink. Maintain control in icy conditions by always driving smooth, slow and steady. Don’t be in a rush. Getting into an accident won’t save you any time and will drive up your auto insurance premiums.
- Scrape off All the Snow – When you remove snow from your vehicle, make sure you do the entire vehicle. Scrape your windshields thoroughly, and remove all the snow from your roof, so it doesn’t slide onto the windshield when you hit the brakes.
- Keep Your Distance – Tailgating is never a good idea, especially in the winter. Icy road conditions mean that your car needs more time to stop than when roads are dry. Always keep a good distance between you and the person in front of you and watch the road ahead, so that you can anticipate stops and respond quickly.
- Be Prepared – Expect the best, but prepare for the worst. Keep an emergency kit in the car that includes a small shovel, a flashlight, an extra blanket and some kitty litter. Kitty litter can help you gain traction if you get stuck in a rut.
When Accidents Happen
Sometimes accidents are unavoidable. If you do get into a collision, make sure that everyone is okay before doing anything else. Call 911 if there are any serious injuries. Then try and gather as much information about the incident as you can:
- Exchange information with the driver of the other vehicle, including name, address, driver’s license number and auto insurance information.
- Get the contact information for any passengers and witnesses.
- Write down detailed information about all vehicles involved, including plate number, make, model and colour.
- Use your cellphone to photograph any damages.
If you are looking for insurance companies in Halifax that can cover all of your driving insurance needs, visit Eisenhauer Insurance today. Eisenhauer Insurance provides cheap car insurance to drivers all over Nova Scotia. Call us today to learn more about how combined insurance can help you save big time!