01/06/2021 0 Comments
Coping With the Emotional Trauma of a Burglary
Having your home broken into, valuables stolen and property damaged can be an ordeal for almost any homeowner, and afterward, some people experience emotional trauma. Here’s what you should know.
Symptoms of emotional trauma after a burglary
Following a home invasion, it's normal to experience feelings of fear, anger and sadness. Physical symptoms of trauma may include fatigue, insomnia and loss of appetite.
Things you can do to emotionally cope with a burglary
If you’re the victim of a crime that’s beyond your control, you may feel helpless. However, there are things you can do to empower yourself, including the following:
• Share your feelings. Whether you choose a spouse, friend, clergy member or professional counsellor, it’s helpful to share the wide range of emotions you feel after a break-in. Don’t bottle up your feelings. Cry if you need to, or take your frustrations out on a punching bag.
If you’re uncomfortable talking to others about your emotions, consider writing about them instead.
• Return to your routine. Give yourself enough time to process your feelings, but avoid isolating yourself for long periods. Dwelling on the damage can be self-defeating. Getting back to your routine, however, can make you feel more in control.
• Be kind to yourself. Try to eat healthy meals and drink alcohol only in moderation. Physical exercise is a key ingredient in staying mentally and emotionally healthy, so go for a walk or bike ride every day. Additionally, get enough sleep and take naps if needed.
• Increase security. It may be a good idea to seek the advice of a home security expert. Installing cameras and upgrading security features on your doors and windows can make you safer and give you peace of mind. In some cases, it can also reduce your home insurance premiums.
• Adjust your home insurance policy. It’s important to make your home insurance claim as soon as possible after a break-in. While you’re at it, consider talking to your insurance broker about increasing the protection in your home insurance policy.
Home insurance in Nova Scotia
At Eisenhauer Insurance Inc., we know how traumatic a home break-in can be. Fortunately, our knowledgeable and friendly brokers can help you process your claim. We can also help you find a home insurance, car insurance, or travellers insurance policy that provides comprehensive coverage and suits your budget. With locations in Halifax and Dartmouth, NS to serve you, we’re here to help secure the coverage you need. To get a free no-obligation quote, contact us today.