How to Save Money on Gasoline
In 2022 we’re witnessing the highest gasoline prices in history, with peaks reaching over two dollars per litre. While you can’t control fuel prices, you can control how much you consume. Following these driving techniques will help you economize on gas and may also reduce your car insurance premiums.
Fuel-Efficient Driving Techniques
The way you drive has an impact on your fuel efficiency. Follow these guidelines:
- Take it easy on the gas pedal and gently accelerate. It should take five seconds to go from a complete stop to 20 kilometres per hour.
- Use cruise control and keep a steady speed. Fluctuating your speed can increase your vehicle’s fuel consumption by as much as 20 per cent.
- Keep a safe distance between you and other vehicles to avoid constant braking and accelerating.
- Take it easy on the air conditioning. Using this system can increase fuel consumption by 20 per cent.
- Travel within speed limits. Your vehicle achieves optimal fuel economy when you travel between 50 and 80 kilometres per hour.
These driving techniques will also save you money by helping you avoid speeding fines and reducing the chances of a collision and costly repairs.
Remove Unnecessary Weight
Sports equipment, lawn chairs, bike racks and roof racks all add weight and decrease fuel efficiency. Before your next trip, remove any items you don’t need to lighten the load. Your car will thank you with improved mileage.
How you use your vehicle will also significantly impact the amount of gas you use. Try adopting these habits:
- Turn your engine off when idling for more than 60 seconds. An average three-litre engine wastes up to 300 millilitres of fuel every 10 minutes of idling.
- Plan your errands and get everything done in one trip. Avoid rush-hour traffic and backtracking to maximize efficiency.
- Check your tire pressure at least once a month. Driving on over- or under-inflated tires decreases fuel economy and hampers acceleration, braking and steering.
These habits will do more than help you at the gas pump. They can also help you avoid more expensive high-risk driver insurance. If you sign up for telematics insurance, which takes good driving practices into account, you may qualify for a discount on your premiums of up to 30 per cent.
Auto Insurance in Halifax and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
At Eisenhauer Insurance Inc., we provide comprehensive home, car and motorcycle insurance with competitive rates and personalized service. With our 24/7 claims service, your claim will start moving through the system as quickly as possible. Contact us in Halifax and Dartmouth to talk to one of our insurance brokers.