16/08/2017 0 Comments
Will Winter Tires Eventually Mean Cheaper Car Insurance Rates for Drivers in Nova Scotia?
The benefits of snow tires
Increased safety is the main reason for installing winter tires on your vehicle. Winter tires increase your traction and help keep you from sliding off the road during the icy winter months. But safety isn’t the only reason to drive with winter tires. Snow tires also provide:
- Better performance—Winter tires are engineered to stay soft in cool temperatures, which is how they are able to deliver top-notch traction and grip. Experts agree that winter tires greatly out-perform all-season tires in icy conditions.
- Better treads—Because they’re made for the snowy season, winter tires have better treads than all-seasons. Better treads mean better traction, grip and safety for you and your passengers.
- Savings—Driving with tires that have better performance and better treads also means that you’ll have more control over your vehicle, which can help you keep your fuel costs low. With winter tires, you won’t waste fuel trying to accelerate your way out of an icy rut every time your vehicle comes to a stop.
Practicing safe winter driving
In addition to making sure that your car is equipped with snow tires, you can stay safe by practicing good winter driving habits. Nothing will help to keep your Halifax auto insurance premiums low like taking the time to learn how to drive safely in the winter. Start with the following tips:
- Clear your car of all snow and ice before heading out.
- Don’t follow too close.
- Drive slowly and avoid making sudden stops.
- Watch out for patches of ice.
Enjoy auto insurance benefits with snow tires
Only time will tell whether the provincial government in Nova Scotia will follow Ontario’s lead and encourage the use of winter tires. But if one thing is clear, it’s that any piece of legislation prompting drivers to use winter tires will have a positive impact on road safety throughout the province.
Insurance is Nova Scotia’s top car insurance broker. Contact us today for a free quote!
Return to main blog page